Monday 21 May 2012

How It All Began.

For a bit of background.. I first saw Jono at a YSA convention in Sydney and I thought he was pretty hot. I don't think we were ever officially introduced but we crossed paths many times throughout that year. Our conversations never eventuated further than a "hey, how've you been?" despite Jono's numerous attempts to chat me up haha. Eventually he plucked up the courage to ask for my number (only after asking my brother's permission of course) and called later that week to ask me on a date. I was surprised to find him to be charming, engaging and very funny. ..and I still thought he was hot. I went home feeling like there was definite potential for us but I was determined to keep things running at a very slow pace. Eleven months down the track and many dates later, here we are! Now I couldn't imagine life without him.

The proposal was well thought out and romantic, just like Jono. He arranged a sea plane ride for us over Sydney, lunch by the water, and while on a walk around Cottage Point got down on one knee. I've never been happier than I was on that day.


Not long after he popped the question ^ !!! Sooo happy! My hair looks manky because Jono parked the car about a kilometre away from where the plane took off at Rose Bay. Of course it began bucketing down with rain after a couple of hundred metres. I mean literally buckets full. We had no choice but to take off our shoes and made a run for it! As you can see my dress was white.. Not the best choice as it went completely see through haha. Fortunately this minor hiccup didn't put too much of a damper on the day (pun intended). I think it made it all the more memorable.

The wedding prep started immediately. No, that's a lie. I'd been quietly researching dresses and venues for weeks. Thank goodness he asked me!

Our first project was locking down a venue. After spending the next few Saturdays visiting various places around Sydney, we settled on the timeless and elegant Dunbar House at Watsons Bay (picture below).


Next came the engagement party which we decided to have at my parents' place. I took on the tasks of designing the invitations (picture below) and coming up with a menu and decorations. I'm sad that we didn't get more photos because it looked amazing with the backyard drenched in fairy lights and candles. For food we served bite-sized portions of everything! Mini quiches, sushi, rice paper rolls, smoked salmon h'orderves, individual cups of dip with chips and vegies and more. Dessert was similarly delectable with white chocolate panna cotta with mixed berries, fairy cakes, individual caramel tarts and mini banoffee pies.



Hayley Clarke, myself and Maddie Fitzgibbon having a crump at my engagement party.

No comments:

Post a Comment